On 26 May 2014, at 1:45, Theodore Kilgore <kilg...@banach.math.auburn.edu>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to make a Samsung Chromebook to support Linux functionality in
> a manner to which I am accustomed. The problem is missing keys. A possibly
> noninclusive list follows, for anyone who might possibly not be
> familiar with the hardware:
>
> 1. There is a Backspace key, but no Delete key. 2. No Insert key (useful
> in MC for highlighting files for various actions). 3. There are not PageUp
> nor PageDown keys. 4. The Home and End keys are missing, too. 5. The
> Function keys 1 through 10 are present, but they are not labeled as such
> because the default OS maps them to various hardware functionalities, such
> as more sound, less sound, more brightness, less brightness, and such. In
> Linux these are mapped to the usual F-* keys, and it is not obvious how to
> recover their "original" functionality at the moment. That is a
> longer-term project.

Dear Theodore,

As a suggestion from the un-knowledgeable, I use mc on a mac which also has
missing keys. There are some workarounds, so as a long shot, this is taken from
a mc tutorial I have on my personal website.

The F key problem: Easiest fix for regular users - open System Preferences ->
Keyboard, tick to use the F keys as normal function keys. Otherwise, use Ctrl-t
in place of the insert key to select multiple files, and Esc - 1-0 in place of
the F keys.

Hope it helps in some small aspect.

Regards,
Jane