mc works fine when on the con locally.

I have spent hours trying to figure out why a console ssh connection to ubuntu
(from ubuntu - even the same ubuntu box) results in the first (2) key (any key)
depressions being ignored until a 3rd key (any key) is depressed and all
characters are echoed. this is true whether the key is a cursor key, tab key,
etc. this makes mc unusable using ssh.

I read some discussion about the esc esc delay issue and don’t think that this
has anything to do with that issue. I played with various params which appear
to work as advertised.

If I ssh from osx terminal con to the same ubuntu box and try the same con ssh
connection, no problem. Also no problem if I ssh from the ubuntu box to a
debian box running 3.2.0.4.

I know that ubuntu uses dash shell by default and tried switching to bash. This
didn’t help. I have also checked environment variables generated by ‘set’ and
saw very little difference between local login (before ssh) and ssh login
(after ssh login).

What am I missing? Thanks.