yes, I see where that is now, thanks.  The problem seems that the
panels.ini file isn't being written to upon exit.  The only difference I
can see is with older versions of Fedora saves the file (as the root user
in my case) to: /root/.mc  However in newer ones it goes to:
/root/.config/mc the rest is all the same.  I have to manually "save setup"
is the only way to have it write to that file.

versions:
EL-6: mc-4.7.0.2-3.el6.x86_64
F-21: mc-4.8.7-8.el7.x86_64

I verified the ini has auto_save_setup=1

I don't have another distro to test on, if I did I suppose that could rule
out if its a bug or just something about the OS.