The most important question is what will the vendor support? If they're happy
to support it on a virtual server, then you can ignore their recommendation.
You can get a real server any time if you decide you need it. It may be
complicated to switch, but virtualization has a lot of great benefits that are
probably worth it.

If they won't support it on a virtual server, then reevaluate.