Apologies for cross posting.
Museum Computer Network (MCN)

Call for Panels and Papers

Building Content, Building Community:
40 Years of Museum Information and Technology

Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza

November 7?10, 2007
Chicago, Illinois

Proposals accepted February 5 ? March 2, 2007

Click here for online proposal form

----

This year in Chicago, MCN will revive the cross-disciplinary vision of 40
years ago and explore its promise in the present day, encouraging
participation from institutions across the museum spectrum. How we are the
same? How are we different? How have we dealt, successfully and
unsuccessfully, with the overlapping efforts in documentation,
professionalism, and use of technology across the museum community?  What
are we doing right and what do we need to do better?

(Back-story for 2007 :) In 1967 a group of museum professionals in New York
held their first meeting to discuss the use of computers in museum settings.
This meeting was the genesis of what would become the Museum Computer
Network. Art, archaeology, science, and historical museums, as well as
members of the computer industry (especially IBM), all participated in those
early meetings. As the museum field has grown and expanded in the past
half-century, we have become more and more specialized, learning primarily
from those whose experiences most closely mirror our own?art with art,
science with science, etc.  This conference will reaffirm and revitalize our
broader connections across these types of institutions.

The MCN Annual Conference 2007 seeks innovative sessions (panels, papers,
posters, and workshops) that reflect on 40 years of museum information and
technology practice in all types of museums that define our current state,
and look forward to the next decade and beyond.

Prospective presenters are invited to submit proposals in any of the
following areas, as well as on other topics:

?        Opportunities for New Professionals

?        Leadership, Sustainability, Accountability

?        Building Content, Building Communities (online museums as social
spaces)

?        Superior Content, Superior Delivery

?        Digital Readiness, Digital Accomplishments, Digital Accountability
(DAMS, Best Practices, Preservation, Access)

?        Museum Information Standards

?        Digital Convergence: Archives, Libraries, and Museums

?        Copyright Issues in the New Millennium

Innovative formats and audience interaction are highly desirable and will be
important factors in the 2007 selection process.

Online proposal submissions will be accepted February 5 ? March 2, 2007

Click here for online proposal form