Hi Mary and all,

We've been using PDF on our website since 2002 to deliver all press
releases; a current example is at
http://www.wesleyan.edu/dac/exhb/press.html . This supplanted mailing
printed releases with 8x10s; some hard-copy releases still go out,
but they (and email notices) refer users to the PDF on the Web for
images.

In this case, PDF works nicely for integrated delivery of images and
text with embedded fonts for consistent display, in a single-file,
downloadable format as desired by many of our press contacts. PDF
permissions make it easy to enable full content export while
affording modest protection against changing the PDF itself--not that
anyone would bother hacking a press release, but this may help
prevent inadvertent alteration or other glitches as the file is
passed along.

Rob

PS: current workflow uses Photoshop for image preparation, Word for
incoming text, FrameMaker (!) for assembly, and Distiller and Acrobat
for PDF prep.

At 1:16 PM -0800 2/22/07, you wrote:
>I am interesting in knowing if anyone out there is using pdf and/or pdf-A
>to delivery digital content to web visitors, or for any other application.
>
>Feel free to respond on or off list.
>
>Thanks.
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Mary W. Elings
>Archivist for Digital Collections
>The Bancroft Library
>University of California, Berkeley
>
>MCN Standards SIG Chair

Rob Lancefield (rlancefield [at] wesleyan.edu)
Manager of Museum Information Services / Registrar of Collections
Davison Art Center, Wesleyan University
301 High Street, Middletown CT 06459-0487 USA
860.685.2965
Board of Directors, Museum Computer Network