There was a presentation at American Society for Information Science and
Technology (ASIS&T) in Austin, TX in 2006 by Jennifer Graham and June Abbas
that provides some insight into that arena.

Here is a picture of the poster before it is tagged
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jennx/291272218/
and after:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jennx/291081293/in/set-72157594360532294/

June Abbas later published an article in the journal Knowledge Organization
that deals with this, though, strictly speaking, it is from a library
perspective rather than a museum perspective.

Abbas, June.  (2007).  In the Margins: Reflections on Scribbles, Knowledge
Organization, and Access. Knowledge Organization, Vol. 34 Issue 2, p72-77.

here is the author's abstract:

Marginalia or "scribbling in the margins" is a means for readers to add a
more in-depth level of granularity and subject representation to digital
documents such as those present in social sharing environments like Flicker
and del.icio.us. Social classification and social sharing sites development
of user-defined descriptors or tags is discussed in the context of knowledge
organization. With this position paper I present a rationale for the use of
the resulting folksonomies and tag clouds being developed in these social
sharing communities as a rich source of information about our users and
their natural organization processes. The knowledge organization community
needs to critically examine our understandings of these emerging
classificatory schema and determine how best to adapt, augment, revitalize
existing knowledge organization structures.

-Nathan Hall