From: mcn-l-boun...@mcn.edu on behalf of Leonard Steinbach
Sent: Fri 1/25/2008 9:12 AM
To: Museum Computer Network Listserv
Cc: Alan Levine
Subject: Re: [MCN-L] Webcasting

Perian,

I took the liberty of forwarding your query to Alan Levine, Chief Tech
Officer of New Media Consortium which has been at the forefront of Second
Life programming for higher education. [NMC is also responsible for
Pachyderm and has a considerable and growing museum membership.]

Here is his reply:

Hi Len,

I'll try to share some info. There is a distinction that is important, and
that is not clear in Perian's message as to what is meant by "webcast";
whether the audio he/she is wanting to play in Second Life is pre-recorded
(which it sounds like because the list reads "gather the content"), e.g. the
audio exists as sounds files, or whether the installation calls for a live
audio. The latter is really the case of needing a "streaming" server, which
encodes the audio in real time and then relays it to the listeners.
"Streaming" is a special case of offering audio over the net when it is done
in near real time.

For playing pre-recorded audio, the needs are simple. The sounds merely need
to be saved as an MP3 file on a web server, so there is a URL that points to
it. No server plugins are needed, But as suggested, running from a DSL line
is not advisable. A DreamHost account may be enough, it is hard to say for
sure as it depends on how many SL avatars might be listening to the same
file at the same time-- each avatar is a separate data request. For the NMC
media, we have a hosting account with a content delivery service, Limelight
Networks, that has a national network of highly efficient servers that can
more or less host the files. But we have large scale audiences

Like I said, live audio is a different thing. Typically you need a computer
at the source of the audio that uses software such as ShoutCast (PC) or
NiceCast (Mac) that takes the input form an audio source, and then relays
the audio in real time to a special streaming server, which in turn is what
handles the bandwidth of all the requests. Our arrangement with Limelight
Networks provides this service as well, but there are many other sources for
offering hosted live audio.

It is not exactly a tutorial, but I've blogged with some images and
diagrams, the setup we use at NMC for live audio streaming
http://cogdogblog.com/2006/08/20/we-can-all-be-radio-stations/