The Yale Center for British Art and the Yale University Art Gallery at Yale
University have moved away from using the accession# and its inherent problems
in favor of a naming convention derived from the objectID field in TMS, which
is just the sequential number field assigned by the database each time a new
object record is added to TMS.

I'm sure all the other collection management systems use a sequential numbering
system as well. This number is used by the collection management system to link
the appropriate records from other tables to the object record since the number
never changes.

The beauty of this system is its structure, which allows you to automate file
creation and retrieval by other programs other than TMS. Also, it allows you to
retain a link to the TMS object even though the accession# may change over time.

Besides needing a better image naming convention than the accession#, we
developed this structured naming convention for use with a recently installed
enterprise level DAM at Yale University. The structured image# allowed us to
develop software that automated the TMS and DAM ingest of new images.

Here is a breakdown of our image naming convention. I will supply further
details on request.

Museum - TMS module - objectID - index - image type . suffix

ba-obj-60395-0003-pub.tif       YCBA example (we like the idea of a 4 digit
ag-obj-4487-001-mas.tif         YUAG example (Art Gallery is happy with a 3
digit index)

Museum is ba for YCBA and ag for Art Gallery.

TMS module can be obj for object or exb for exhibition module.

ObjectID is the sequential record# in the object table. The exhibitionID
sequential# is used for exb images.

Index allows us to have more than one image for an object using the naming
convention. The name is always the same, just the index and image type changes.

Image type; we make 3 versions of each image, master (mas), bar (color
corrected with bars), pub (color corrected and cropped).

Suffix is whatever the file type is.

The switch to the structured naming convention has tremendously increased our
productivity.

Identifying an image is as simple as querying TMS on the objectID carried in
the image name.

My only regret is that we didn't do this sooner.

David Parsell
Systems Manager
Yale Center for British Art
1080 Chapel Street