Browsing through socialmediagovernance.com/policies.php, it's becoming obvious
to me that there are two different threads: guidelines for employees who are
using social media outlets for the organization, and guidelines for employees
who are using social media outlets privately.

The former, are necessary to maintain consistent voice and brand, however the
latter seems to be more of a grey area.

The MacArthur Foundation has been working on studies about how young people use
social media, and the importance of social media on their personal and social
development (http://spotlight.macfound.org/). At the same time, we now have the
issue to address of cyber-bullying (http://www.stopcyberbullying.org), which is
more to the examples that John pinpointed. Has the development of the
technology outstripped our ability to apply etiquette to this new situation,
and is there so much a need for artificial policies to govern it, as there is
for a cultural movement for the reapplication of etiquette to the technology
(aka, netiquette).

Does there need to be an institutional policy addressing personal use of social
media, or would a generic clause in your personnel manual about "bringing the
reputation of the institution into disrepute" suffice? This avoids the question
of how to police a social media policy, and future-proofs your policies against
future shifts in technology. Otherwise, we will always be at want for a new
policy whenever there is a shift in technology for which etiquette has yet to
catch up.

(I may add that the views expressed here are expressly my own)

Chad Petrovay ?| ?Collections Database Administrator
MIM-Musical Instrument Museum | 4725 E. Mayo Boulevard ?| Phoenix, AZ 85050
480.478.6000 main ?| ?480.478.6058 direct | 480.471.8690 fax ?| www.themim.org