Maja -

We're in the process of developing a policy, also adapted in part from the
Walker Art Center's blog guidelines, which I love because they are so succinct
and also really point to common sense. I think common sense is the key, but as
Perian points out, not everyone agrees on what "appropriate" is.

One thing we've found successful with our Facebook page is to have a group
approach to developing the posts. We have 5 staff people working on the page.
If one of us has an idea, we e-mail it to the group. We are all good at
responding pretty immediately. If one or more of the group members agrees it's
a good post, we go ahead with the posting. We actually work pretty quickly and
in the process we have created a great collaborative group. Rather than being
cumbersome, I feel like this approach actually frees us up to be really
creative since it takes the onus off of one person and gives everyone a
sounding board to try out ideas and really be creative. I can think of a few
post ideas I have had that my inner voice was telling me were on the edge of
being bad ideas. Left to my own I may not have posted, but by vetting through
the group we ended up posting and got great responses. The group approach also
helps keep the momentum up -- if one staff person is out, or just busy, the
others can keep it going.

Another tip may be to have some editorial staff involved in the group. Our
Facebook group has 2 editors involved, myself included. Editors will know the
official terminology and editorial style for your institution and can help
shape the tone for the social media (hopefully very different from your
"official" tone!).

Hope this helps
susan

Susan Edwards