Hi Perian,
I'm wondering why/if you decided against using a forum for this purpose?  Is
it the editing capabilities of the wiki?

I used a forum for conference planning last year and it was like pulling
teeth to get people on the site.  Similar problems with the forum we used
for a research cluster.  I think the main issue was that people would forget
about it if it didn't come in the inbox.  I eventually switched to a google
group so that we would have an archive of everything on one site while
allowing users to receive emails.  I think you can set this up with most bb
software, too, though I've never tried it with a wiki.

You have one huge asset on your side: these are employees you're dealing
with, not volunteers, so they have the whole day to focus on their work
rather than doing it on their own time.  I think that it's important to
treat the switch like its own project, rather than "just a tool," and
dedicate a portion out of each week to work on it since it is such a big
change for some people.  While I don't have experience using a wiki in this
way, I do have some suggestions based on tech support and workshops I've
done in the past (and I think this would be helpful for any tech changes).
Hopefully, it will be useful!

Make the advantage obvious.  Show examples of other wikis.  Set up a topic
on your wiki for a previous project--one with which they're still closely
familar--add in several of the old emails on the wiki, and show them how
much better it is than "just email."  Because they already know the project,
they'll be able to focus on the features of the wiki and imagine its use
concretely.

Make it a team effort.  Don't just send the link in an email--get everyone
together in a board room or something so that they feel like they're talking
to a real person about it, and it doesn't require them to take time
individually out of their daily work.  Go over each step with them,
preferably in front of computers so that they can follow along, then provide
them with a quick reference guide.  Make sure that (unlike this email!) the
information is highly organized and that you go through step by step.  Start
from things that seem so obvious to you, you'd assumed they already knew
it.

Make it accessible and comfortable.  Bring snacks.  Imagine you are teaching
the wiki to your grandmother.  Allow them to have input into the project,
but emphasize why everything needs to be in one place.  Show them how to
search the help files.  I always say that, "It's not about knowing all the
answers, it's about knowing where to find the answer."  Assure them that you
are willing to help at any time, and prove it by dropping everything to
guide them through difficult spots.  Put the address to the wiki in your
email signature and tell them it will be there.  This approach should take
care of the late adopters by making them feel supported and capable, and it
should also help those who need an email notice by putting the wiki right in
their faces with sugar and coffee and official-ness.

Keep it on the radar.  For the first few weeks/months of the wiki being
open, I would send out periodic updates to everyone on how it's successful,
what's being changed, and best practices.  Link to examples to get them in
the habit of reading it like a newspaper.

As for information organization, the format I used on our bulletin board
was:
1 forum per project, ex. "conference"
1 section per team, ex. "submissions, marketing"
1 topic per project element, ex. "recruiting submissions readers, designing
call for submissions poster, press release, etc."

Depending on the size of the project, this may not translate as well to the
wiki format.  I thought I'd throw it out there in case it's helpful!

Good Luck!
Shana