Hello trusty MCN Listserv,

I have a question for you concerning handheld tour devices that might
sound a little radical in its thinking.  Don't think it's my crazy idea;
I'm just the tech guy doing a background check on this listserv!  We
currently offer a museum tour via iPod Touch which we checkout to
visitors if they are interested.  There are concerns that the checkout
process might be a deterrent for people taking the tour.  The new
thought is to let the visitors pick them up and use them on their own.
My concern of course is that they are going to walk right out the door.

Have any other museums, libraries, etc. offered anything similar?  What
were the results?  Are there any other options to breaking down this
barrier?

All thoughts and comments are welcome - even ones telling us we are
crazy!

Thanks all,

Chris Alexander | Manager of Interactive Technology

San Jose Museum of Art

110 South Market Street

San Jose, CA  95113

408-271-6875 ph.

408-294-2977 fx.

calexander at sjmusart.org <mailto:calexander at sjmusart.org>

Go to www.sjmusart.org/podcast <http://www.sjmusart.org/podcast>  to
listen to our MUSE Award winning podcast or search for "SJMA" on iTunes
<http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=200789
487> .

Is video more your thing?  Check out our YouTube Channel at
www.youtube.com/sanjosemuseumofart
<http://www.youtube.com/sanjosemuseumofart>