Amanda,

Software for Collections Management:

Here in the UK MDA is often asked the question "Which collections
management system should I buy?". What we generally say that is not
possible to give a simple answer and advise them to make their
decision based on a number of different factors:

* How much money do you have to spend? One thing to note is that the
number of objects being managed is not an issue for price.

* What do you want the system to do? For example does the system
enable web publication.

* What do others say about a system? You are doing that here, but do
not hesitate to ask for a reference from a system vendor,
specifically for your type of museum, if possible.

* Does a system support standards? These could be ICT technical
standards, but key here is support of museum information management
standards.

For example MDA publishes a information management standard,
SPECTRUM, which many systems vendors used to design their systems.
The standard is now free to download and use non-commercially:

http://www.mda.org.uk/spectrum.htm

We have over 3,000 licences for SPECTRUM worldwide (about 250 in the
USA), and have just signed an agreement for translation and
localisation in the Netherlands and Flanders (Belgium).

Since 2005 we have run an MDA Partner scheme for those who wish to
use SPECTRUM commercially and to have the opportunity to have their
systems validated against the standards. Information about these MDA
Partners' systems can be found at:

http://www.mda.org.uk/software.htm

Hope this is of help

Gordon.

 Gordon McKenna  e-mail: gordon at mda.org.uk
 MDA
 The Spectrum Building,
 The Michael Young Centre,
 Purbeck Road
 Cambridge CB2 2PD, UK

 Tel:    +44 1223 415760
 Fax:    +44 1223 415960

Setting the standard for managing collections information