come to the IP Sig meeting on Thursday, Nov 13, from 12 noon - 1.00pm to learn
more and meet Jeff Sedlik.

MAJOR PUBLISHERS ADOPT THE PLUS IMAGE LICENSING STANDARDS

New York, NY ? November 10, 2008 ? Three major publishers have called for the
adoption of
the PLUS (Picture Licensing Universal System) standards by picture archives,
photographers
and all other image suppliers. Representatives of McGraw Hill, Houghton Mifflin
Harcourt,
and Pearson each announced that they will adopt the PLUS Picture Licensing
Glossary
definitions in their contracts, and that they encourage image suppliers to
begin embedding
PLUS license metadata in all images within one year. The publishers voiced
their support at
the ?PLUS Takes Root in the Publishing Industry? event hosted by the Picture
Archive Council
of America, during their International Conference in New York City.

The PLUS standards were developed by the PLUS Coalition, an international
non-profit
organization dedicated to simplifying and facilitating the communication and
management of image rights. In the PLUS Coalition, publishers, picture
archives,
photographers, illustrators, designers, advertising agencies, museums,
libraries, artist
representatives, educational institutions, manufacturers and their associations
collaborate
toward that shared goal. The PLUS standards allow rights and attribution
information to
travel within image files in a machine-readable format that provides instant
access and
universal understanding.

?We are very pleased that these major publishers ? the largest image licensees
in the
industry ? are aligned in their support of the PLUS standards,? said Maria
Kessler, President of
the Picture Archive Association of America.

Bonnie Beacher, Senior Director of Contracts, Copyrights and Permissions at
McGraw-Hill
Education, said ?The PLUS standards benefit publishers and their suppliers by
simplifying and
clarifying the process of licensing and managing images.  We are in the process
of
implementing PLUS standards, and we would find it very useful for our image
suppliers to
adopt PLUS standards as well.?

Jeff Sedlik, President & CEO of the PLUS Coalition, said ?The PLUS standards
will allow
publishers to leverage embedded license metadata to increase automation and
more
efficiently manage images in their digital asset management systems.?

The PLUS Coalition includes participants in thirty countries, and receives
significant support
from Leadership Circle members Adobe, Adbase, Adobe, Pentagram, Jupiterimages,
Digimarc, Belay Development, Getty Images, IDEAlliance, ImageSpan, Photo
District News,
IPTC, NAPP, PACA, StockPhotoFinder, Swan Turton, WongDoody and Capture. To
learn
more about PLUS, visit www.useplus.org  or contact info at useplus.org.