On the more esoteric end of things:

We are cataloguing a collection of black and white negatives. In many
cases there are groups of negatives depicting the same subject. In some
of these cases the depictions are very close (for example, multiple
takes of a posed studio portrait, multiple takes of a wedding party) and
in other cases the relationship is more distant (for example, multiple
exposures taken in sequence during the same event).

We have been using the term "version" to refer to these. We looked in
AAT and found the term "version" under the derivative objects section,
and discovered that it is meant to refer to objects that are based on an
original, which is really not applicable in our situation since no
single negative in these cases can be called the original or primary
negative.

We are wondering if there is another term we should consider using to
describe these relationships and particularly if there are two terms
that would permit us to distinguish between the relationships that are
very close from those that are looser.

Thanks,

Will Real
Carnegie Museum of Art, Pittsburgh