At 17:54 13/07/2006, David Green wrote:

>Have people seen Susan Bielstein's "Permissions - A Survival Guide,"
>in which for the illustrations not only full copyright status of work
>and image are given, but details of the fee paid - how much, to whom,
>for what.

Now there's an idea!  (And definitely a political statement.)  I also
like those blank image spaces in on-line collections databases that
are marked "No image due to copyright restrictions."  They are very
proper and in-your-face at the same time. I think they should also
say, when appropriate, "No image due to copyright fee of $300" or whatever.

In my museum, I try to twist arms to make our publications clearly
include and distinguish between artist's copyright and photographer's
copyright.  This isn't easy, as graphic designers seems to consider
all these credit lines an annoying aesthetic problem ("looks
cluttered,"  "looks commercial.")  I can just imagine the cries of
protest if I asked that public domain works be marked, as well.

On the other hand, as a trained graphic designer myself, I know that
design is the art of problem solving -- the designer's task is to
find an elegant and intelligent solution.

At any rate, we label our images "Photo (c) The Israel Museum, by
Phil Photographer," which I hope is clearly enough read as not
referring to the object or work of art in the photo. Artist's
copyrights are listed separately.  Anything that doesn't have an
artist's copyright credit is in the public domain.  I know that that
last equation is what opens a window of confusion for the
reader.  "All works of art illustrated in this publication are in the
public domain unless otherwise indicated below"  would make things clearer.

Amalyah