People just don't use their Android devices anywhere near as much as iOS users
so even though the installed base is bigger the usage is a lot lower. I would
hazard a guess that a  lot of Android users don't even really know they have a
'smartphone' and have no idea how to use most of the functions. It reminds me
of the days of Symbian - The phones could do a _lot_ of things but the
population that actually anything other than make phone calls and store
contacts was tiny.

As Android starts to become a user friendly OS (which is slowly happening) we
might see an increase in usage. I are seeing that in other verticals where
Android usage is creeping up above 25%. Also let's not forget Windows 8 which
is due for launch next week. It could be 3rd time lucky for Microsoft.

Glen

On 26/10/2012, at 12:50 AM, mcn-l-request at mcn.edu wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 08:45:54 -0500
> From: Heather Marie Wells <HeatherMarie.Wells at crystalbridges.org>
> To: Museum Computer Network Listserv <mcn-l at mcn.edu>
> Subject: Re: [MCN-L] App stats
>

> Hi Frank,
>
> I appreciate your sharing these sales stats which I've already accessed.
> I was looking for more actual user stats.  I'm wanting a picture of what
> devices are actually being used to access museum content and in what
> ratios.
>
> And with the stats I've gather from colleagues it seems to be very
> interesting that even though the Android platform is the top mobile
> platform, it's the Apple devices that are dominating in actually access
> content.
>
> Thanks,
> HM
>
> Heather Marie Wells
> Education Technology Coordinator
>

> 600 Museum Way
> Bentonville, AR 72712
>
> 479-418-5700 (main)
> CrystalBridges.org
> <applewebdata://2B2A8410-4C36-4D85-8BA3-371AEF938703/crystalbridges.org>
>
> Find us on Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/crystalbridgesmuseum>

> On 10/23/12 9:44 AM, "Frank E. Thomson" <FThomson at ashevilleart.org> wrote:
>
>> According to a study by ComScore more than 110 million people in the U.S.
>> owned smartphones as of June 2012. Google's Android operating system
>> remained the top mobile platform, accounting for 51.6% of smartphone
>> subscribers, while Apple's iOS captured 32.4% of the market and Research
>> in Motion's (RIMM) share fell to 10.7%. Rounding out the group was
>> Microsoft's (MSFT) Windows Phone operating system and Symbian with 3.8%
>> and 0.9%, respectively.
>>
>> Frank Thomson, Curator
>> Asheville Art Museum
>> PO Box 1717
>> Asheville, NC 28802
>> 2 South Pack Square
>> 828.253.3227 tel
>> 828.257.4503 fax
>> www.ashevilleart.org
>> fthomson at ashevilleart.org
>>
>> Engaging, enlightening and inspiring individuals and enriching community
>> through dynamic experiences in American Art of the 20th and 21st
>> centuries since 1948.

>>> 828.253.3227 tel
>>> 828.257.4503 fax
>>> www.ashevilleart.org
>>> fthomson at ashevilleart.org
>>>
>>> Engaging, enlightening and inspiring individuals and enriching
>>> community through dynamic experiences in American Art of the 20th and
>>> 21st centuries since 1948.

>>> 828.253.3227 tel
>>> 828.257.4503 fax