Hi Kelly,

One thing you might want to consider, particularly in regard to collecting
digital news content, is the use of PDF/A.  This would be an alternative to
the use of word for any material copied from the internet.  The Society of
American Archivists produced a webinar on the use of PDF/A a few years ago
and one can still view it from this link (for a fee)
http://saa.peachnewmedia.com/store/seminar/seminar.php?seminar=12158

In terms of content distributed through other media outlets, like TV and
radio, you might be able to ask those stations to send you a copy of their
coverage.  You'd then just need to manage it with the rest of your digital
assets.  If you expect to be collecting alot of digital media items (even
digital media artworks), you might want to look into a digital asset
management system that would support digital preservation (fixity checks,
forward migration, etc).

Hope this helps!
Molly

Molly Tighe
Archivist, Mattress Factory Museum
Archives Consultant, Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra