The Naturalis Biodiversity Center in the Netherlands is crowdsourcing
cataloguing of the digitization of their collection. Also from the recent
MCN Conference:

"Digitizing Nature with a Live Audience
 Speakers: Maarten Heerlien<http://wired.ivvy.com/event/MCN13/speaker#62610>,
Kirsten Van Hulsen <http://wired.ivvy.com/event/MCN13/speaker#63094>

With roughly 37 million biological and geological specimens, Naturalis
Biodiversity Center, the national museum of natural history of the
Netherlands, maintains one of the five largest natural history collections
in the world. To make this collection accessible to scientists, students,
and nature enthusiasts worldwide, Naturalis is carrying out a large-scale
program to digitize a cross-section of seven million objects ranging from
mounted specimens and herbarium sheets to fossils and antique nature books,
and from mammoths to mites. The results of these efforts are published
online through Europeana and other aggregators, and from the end of 2013
through Naturalis's new online biodiversity portal. Museum visitors in
Leiden can witness the process of specimen digitization, and even engage in
it, in the exhibition space called LiveScience. We will introduce the
program, its background, and its goals with a short video. Then we will
elaborate on the concept of live digitization and the motivations for it,
talk about the challenges we meet, and conclude by discussing concrete
results we've harvested while digitizing collections in front of a live
audience of visitors and getting them to engage in the digitization process
themselves."

I'm sure they'd be happy to discuss the project with you.
- Douglas

--
Douglas Hegley
Director of Technology