Alex--I'll follow this thread with interest. After checking fee structures
for a couple of big digital archives, we are considering a similar
collaboration with small museums and historical societies in the area. I
pitched the idea of jointly funding the startup costs with grant money to
the head of the Digital Curation program in our state university system,
thinking that they have enough technical muscle to make them an ideal
partner in an endeavor like this. Haven't heard back yet.
I assume you're considering an OAIS-modelled system which would contain a
method of fixity checking archived data periodically.

Best regards, Matt

Matt Wheeler,
Photography Archives,
Penobscot Marine Museum