Hi Krista,

First, IANAMIP -- I Am Not a Museums Informatics Professional -- so I'll let
actually working professionals address your good and thoughtful questions.
(For what it is worth, I enjoyed #MW2014 and we'll be attending/presenting
at #MCN2014. Both are our firsts for any LAM professional conferences.)

I will, however, provide a counterpoint "bug in your ear" that may be
comparable to the pool-side conversation that Dustin Hoffman had in "The
Graduate" when a well-meaning family member whispered, "Plastics" into his
ear in hope of bringing an opportunity to his new-grad attention.

My words would be "Citizen Science/History" and I will point you to Mia
Ridge's identification of what she's calling the Participatory Commons or
Participatory History Commons as an emerging phenomena that will either
disrupt and energize or just energize your professional domain in the years
to come. (See Mia Ridge's companion post to her keynote at the 'Sharing is
Caring' conference: http://goo.gl/2EXD6g)

While attending professional conferences is a good and important activity
for the "emerging professional," so too is seeking out collaborative
opportunities to "just do it" between those times when you get to go to
those exciting professional conferences that are so good at pumping you up
with new knowledge and new network connections to further your career.

I believe that the "na?ve new kid on the block" aspect of grassroots Citizen
Science/History projects -- like The Softalk Apple Project
(www.SoftalkApple.com) and its 'pay it forward' spawn, the
www.FactMiners.org Open Source developers community -- are part of a Grand
"Petri Dish" Incubator of museum research and education innovation as the
#LODLAM World emerges.

I think Citizen Scientists will be a source of LAM research innovation
because -- while we don't know what we don't know -- many of us also have
years, maybe decades, or a life dedicated to developing some skills and
knowledge that brings fresh eyes -- to ask new and different questions --
along with fresh insights about conceptual or technical solutions to
problems that vex those who continue to look at a problem from the point of
view of a "museum person."

So while I will be the first to encourage you to listen to the wise counsel
of those who actually know what they are talking about, I would be remiss if
I didn't mosey up near you and whisper, "Citizen Science/History" in your
emerging professional's ear. :-)

BTW, if you are looking for a super-innovative project to sink your post-doc
teeth into, check out The Softalk Apple Project and FactMiners.org. :-) :-)

        Happy-Healthy Vibes to All,
        --Jim Salmons-- (and Timlynn Babitsky, too)

        Twitter: @Jim_Salmons, @TimlynnBabitsky, @FactMiners, @Softalk_Apple
        www.FactMiners.org
        www.SoftalkApple.com