I'm not sure what I can offer to help with Sarah's specific case (though I'm
sure there will be some one-on-one helpful and wise responses from MCN
colleagues), but I DO know that there's one huge thing that we can ALL commit
to: communicating with the people who apply for the jobs we're responsible for
posting.

How much effort does it take to acknowledge incoming applications, keep people
posted on the process, and send out a final email when the job has been filled?
Well, yes, some effort, but a set of email responses are pretty to easy to
create and send out periodically with a bcc list. If 600 people apply for a
job, that's a good thing for an applicant to know. When you select someone, it
can be helpful to share what the critical skills were with others who didn't
make the cut.

I recently saw a posting from the Portland Art Museum. The text below appears
in a pop-up for each job description.  Kudos to PAM for their kind and
well-thought out policy.

It's a really bad job market out there. Let's see what we as professionals can
do to make the application process better for people who are trying to join us
in our underpaid by fascinating career!

Best,
Deborah Wythe
Head of Digital Collections and Services
Brooklyn Museum

http://portlandartmuseum.org/about/careers/
We recognize and respect the amount of time you are about to invest by
applying to this open position. If you complete this job application,
you will be kept informed via email status updates (and text messages,
if you opt in) throughout the evaluation process.

By continuing with this job application, you will be asked to answer
job-specific questions. Please note that the questions contained in this
 job posting are our sole intellectual property.

Upon receipt of your responses, we will evaluate your submission. If
selected for a personal interview, you will receive an email/text with
scheduling instructions.

Thank You,

Human Resources Department

SPECIAL NOTE: If you do not receive a confirmation e-mail within
 minutes of your job application submission, please check your email
bulk or spam folders.