I'd put in a vote for using Discogs - http://www.discogs.com

I've cataloged about 1500 of my personal vinyl collection on there and
found it to be quite a huge improvement over my own local database efforts.

The biggest advantage of Discogs is the ability to avoid data entry that's
already been done. When I want to catalog a new record, all I have to do
was search any of the identifying details on the physical record and low
and behold, there was a rigorously crowd edited record with linked data on
all the details of the record. I just needed to mark it as "in my
collection."

I can only speak for some genres (punk, rock, r&b, and reggae) but the
number of existing entires for records is surprisingly good. I'm not sure
if this is the case for opera. Even if your record isn't in the database,
Discogs provides you an excellent data structure to enter your own
information. And you get some warm fuzzies for contributing information to
a public database that other will benefit from.

Discogs is run by a private company, but they've been around for several
years now. You can export all of your data in csv files, which I regularly
do, just in case they up and disappear.

You can review their contribution rules and structures here:

http://www.discogs.com/help/doc/submission-guidelines-release

I'd be curious what some more professional collection folks think of this
approach. My experience is more as a personal record collector [nerd].
bk
bryan kennedy
director, exhibit media
science museum of minnesota