The Sheldon Memorial Art Gallery is digitizing its
12,000+ piece collection and revamping its website. In
doing so, we are reexamining our image use policy. I
have already contacted some of you individually, but
am in need of additional confirmation from comparable
institutions re processes and procedures for images
and the web. Any comments you would be able to share
re any of the questions/issues below would be most
appreciated. (Please feel free to reply off-list.)
Thank you very much.

1. Do you put images on the web (from your permanent
collection or traveling exhibitions) when you don't
have the copyright? Do you handle promotional pages
different than the collection pages for this issue?

2. Are you subjecting thumbnails to the same
process/rules as larger images? Why or why not?

3. Do you watermark your images? Have you found any
way to do this other than manipulate each image in
Photoshop (or like program) before loading?

4. Has anyone figured out a way to secure images
within a web page so that they cannot be dragged or
copied?

5. Any words of advice???

=====
Stacey Skold, Collections Manager
Sheldon Memorial Art Gallery and Sculpture Garden,
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
12th & R Street, Lincoln, NE 68588-0300
T402.472.2599 F402.472.4258