Hi Cathryn,

any number of software packages exist that compress images and only deliver
back a selected segment of the file. A lot of them are geared towards an
industry market (online shopping etc) and are priced accordingly. An
interesting tool I discovered recently can be found at this website
http://www.zoomify.com/ - and if I remember correctly from a chat with
David Urbanic (their founder), he mentioned that they're looking into JPEG
2000. And they're giving away their very basic edition tool for free.

Here's a list I compiled about 2 years ago for an MCN panel on these kinds
of tools - some of these may not be in business anymore. Again, be careful
before investigating any further which one's are completely prohibitive in
pricing (I got quoted $125.000 by TrueSpectra once - however, the last I
heard, they had an edition for a lot cheaper). I'm sure in the meantime
there are a lot more tools. Some of these use their own proprietary file
formats, and at this point in time, it may be wise to hold off until JPEG
tools mature and get into this field with a standard. Nevertheless, for
whatever it's worth, here's the old list:

http://www.lizardtech.com/ MR Sid
http://www.equilibrium.com/ Equilibrium MediaRich: Dynamic Image Server
http://www.axs-tech.com/index_yellow.php"; AXS Technologies, Accelerated
Imaging Solutions
http://www.vfzoom.com/"; VFZ (Vector Format for Zooming)</A>
http://www.truespectra.com/";  TrueSpectra
http://www.xippix.com/";  Xippix, Inc.

Cheers,

Günter

                      "Cathryn Goodwin"

                      <good...@slam.org        To:       mcn-l@mcn.edu

                      >                        cc:

                                               Subject:  wavelet compression

                      10/21/2003 06:29

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      mcn-l

I'd be interested in others' experiences with wavelet compression software
? Mr Sid?  DJVu? It seems that Mr. Sid has gone heavily into the satellite
imagery market.  And is there an off-the-shelf product one can buy that
uses the jpeg2000 standard?

Thanks

Cathryn Goodwin
Saint Louis Art Museum