The California State Military Museum is considering going to a new artifact accountability system and of course, we checked out the website for PastPerfect.  However, we have a unique situation and we hope that maybe someone will tell us if they think PastPerfect will fill the bill.

First, all of our federally owned artifacts are accounted for using the Army’s Artifact Management Information System (AMIS).  No choice there, since we are an Army museum, we have to use their system. But, this is only accounts for about five percent of our total collection.  Granted, this five percent is our major macro-artifacts portion; tanks, aircraft, regimental flags, etc.  We are assuming that we could account for this property as loaned from the Army on Past Perfect.  Although AMIS will allow for loaned property, the Artifact Responsible Officer who is responsible for its maintenance is doing this as an additional duty and has other duties to perform.

Second, in addition to our main museum in Sacramento, we have our support facility twenty miles distant and satellite museums and libraries located at Camp San Luis Obispo, Camp Roberts (both in San Luis Obispo County, 300 mile away), the Joint Forces Training Base in Los Alamitos (Orange County) and the National Guard Armories in San Diego (San Diego County).  In addition, we are responsible for accounting for artifacts located in just about every National Guard Armory in the state (over 100 locations).

So here are the questions:

  1. If loaded onto a server, could the satellites upload data to that server and still have them manage their artifacts locally?
  2. If a team were to travel the state using laptops to conduct inventories, could this be transmitted from the field or would we have to return to the office to upload to the server?
  3. How volunteer friendly is the system?

Thanking everyone in advance!

Daniel M. Sebby

Command Sergeant Major

California Center for Military History

California State Military Department

Historian and Webmaster

US Army Museum Activity, California

Preserving California's Military Heritage

www.militarymuseum.org

daniel.se...@us.army.mil

---
You are currently subscribed to mcn_mcn-l as: rlancefi...@mail.wesleyan.edu