From: Matt Morgan [mailto:matt.mor...@brooklynmuseum.org]
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 11:40 AM
To: mcn-l@mcn.edu
Subject: Re: Podcasting - Recreating the Museum Tour

On 05/28/2005 04:23 PM, amalyah keshet wrote:

> "...The exchange sounded a lot more like MTV than Modern Art 101, but
> ...it had a few things to recommend it. It was free. It didn't involve

> the museum's audio device, which resembles a cellphone crossed with a
> nightstick. And best of all, it was slightly subversive: an
> unofficial, homemade and thoroughly irreverent audio guide to MoMA,
> downloaded onto her own iPod...
>
> ...Specifically, these museum guides are an outgrowth of a recent
> podcasting trend called "sound seeing," in which people record
> narrations of their travels - walking on the beach, wandering through
> the French Quarter - and upload them onto the Internet for others to
> enjoy. In that spirit, the creators of the unauthorized guides to the
> Modern have also invited anyone interested to submit his or her own
> tour for inclusion on the project's Web site, mod.blogs.com/art_mobs
> <http://mod.blogs.com/art_mobs>..."
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/28/arts/design/28podc.html

How long before we see the new business model: a community web site for
user-supplied tour uploads and free redistribution (ad-supported of
course) of audio tours for museums, tourist destinations, etc.?

It would be nice to see a museum web site offer this service for its
visitors. Was it on Gail Durbin's list of 50 ways for a museum site to
be two-way? We had a little system crash last week and I haven't had a
chance to read it yet. Or is anyone already doing this? I have always
hoped that our PocketMuseum project would be used not just on the
handhelds we supply, but also on visitors' own web-enabled handhelds.
But there are a lot more mp3 players out there than web-enabled
handhelds (for now). This would be a much quicker path to getting
visitors to take advantage of their own devices.

--Matt

---
You are currently subscribed to mcn_mcn-l as: b...@bethkanter.org To
unsubscribe send a blank email to