I attended a very good workshop on longevity and storage of optical and magnetic media put on by the Canadian Conservation Institute three or four years ago.

At that time they were in the middle of some very detailed research on the longevity and reliability of CD’s and DVD’s

I saw a lot of their raw data and tentative conclusions at the time, but I believe much of the work was since published by them, though I’ve never actually followed up on tracking down the papers…

Tim Atherton

Timothy Atherton

Information Management Technician

Museums and Collections Services