Title: Embedding metadata into digital images - which schema?

Hi again:

As I've mentioned before, I'm working on drafting our digitization procedures here at the Judah L. Magnes Museum, a Jewish cultural history & art museum. I'm trying to determine the best metadata schema to embed in the digital images. I'm curious as to what, if any, schema other cultural history & art organizations use (although we do also have some archeological and archival objects in the collection) in their images.

For a mixed collection such as this, is it a good idea to mix schema? I would like to use MARC for the archival objects that are mixed in (as our archive center is already using MARC for everything), but I might end up using Dublin Core or SPECTRA (or whatever) for the other stuff. Or is it wiser to just pick one and "make it fit" as best I can?

Thanks, by the way, for all of your help earlier regarding your digitzation procedures - your helpful links have caused my collection of useful guides to grow considerably.

Perian Sully
Collection Database & Records Administrator
Judah L. Magnes Museum
2911 Russell St.
Berkeley, CA 94705

---