Here in the Firestone Library we use Kakadu for generating jp2 files, wrapped
in a Python script that also uses Imagemagick and Exiv. In short, the script
will use IM to convert the embedded profile from Adobe 1998 to sRGB. The script
uses Exiv to determine if the file is 24-bit or 8-bit (we outsource some
imaging of documents), then using a jp2 recipe in Kakadu, create a 10:1
compressed file for access. The script allows for assigning multiple
directories for processing, assigning compression levels, and will output
images in the same file structure as the tiff files at any specified location.
The script was written by Jon Strrop, our digital library programmer.

If you’re interested in talking about this feel free to contact me and
depending on what questions you have I can also put you in touch with Jon. And
BTW, if you copy the jpeg2000 plugin from Bridge to Photoshop, you will be able
to open the files in PS.

Roel

Roel Munoz
Digital Initiatives Imaging Manager