Hi Lauren,
As Diane suggested, you may get more responses by posting to the Conservation
DistList, but here are my thoughts on the matter.

I added a field for a list of materials used in treatment to the Conservation
Module at Shelburne Museum primarily to conform to the American Institute for
Conservation's Guidelines for Practice when I write my reports directly into
the database.

The Guidelines require as a minimum practice that treatment reports must
include a list of materials used in that treatment by manufacturer, proprietary
name, and, if known, the chemical composition. I also include where I purchased
the material.

The advantage is that I can use a short name for a material within the
treatment summary or detail without having to include all that other stuff.
I've got all of my materials in an authority list for the Treatment Materials
field so it's a simple search and click to enter them. Speeds up report writing.

Having the materials in a separate section means that they're consistently
searchable so that we'll be able to track a material's use within the
collection.

Best,

Nancie Ravenel
Object Conservator