Dear MCN,

This is a rare personal post from me, but I hope you don't mind as it's a
topic that many of you are interested in!

I wanted to let you know about an opportunity to learn all about
crowdsourcing in cultural heritage through a week-long workshop called,
funnily enough, ‘Crowdsourcing Cultural Heritage’
<http://www.dhtraining.org/hilt2015/course/crowdsourcing-cultural-heritage/>,
that I'm teaching with Ben Brumfield at the HILT Summer School in
Indianapolis in late July. From the blurb:

'This class will present international case studies of best practice
crowdsourcing projects to illustrate the range of tasks that can be
crowdsourced, the motivations of participants and the characteristics of
well-designed projects. We’ll study crowdsourcing projects from the worlds
of citizen science, genealogy and free culture as well as historical and
cultural heritage projects. We’ll investigate the special requirements of
humanities materials and consider the impact of organizational models, user
interface design and community input on the success of projects. We’ll
discuss models for quality control, explore the cross-overs between
traditional in-house volunteer projects and internet-enabled crowdsourcing,
and look at the numbers behind real-world projects.'

Last year’s course was a lot of fun, and was rated very highly by
participants. For a taster of what it's all about, you can read my
introduction to the book 'Crowdsourcing our cultural heritage' on Ashgate’s
website: Crowdsourcing Our Cultural Heritage: Introduction
<http://www.ashgate.com/pdf/SamplePages/Crowdsourcing-our-Cultural-Heritage-Intro.pdf>
or
try the 'speed dating' exercise (basically, try a bunch of projects so you
can experience some of the highs and lows of participating in
crowdsourcing:
http://www.openobjects.org.uk/2014/10/looking-for-crowdsourcing-love-in-all-the-right-places/
 )

The organisers know that costs can be a barrier so you can also apply for a
scholarship. There's more information at http://www.dhtraining.org/hilt2015/

Cheers, Mia

http://openobjects.org.uk/
http://twitter.com/mia_out
Check out my book! http://bit.ly/CrowdsourcingCulturalHeritage
<http://bit.ly/CrowdsourcingCulturalHeritage>
I mostly use this address for list mail but my open.ac.uk address is
checked daily