Hi Dana,

If you haven't already, you may want to check out Sam Quigley's 2013
Museums and the Web Paper regarding the WiFi project at the Art Institute
of Chicago. On the technical details such as how many can connect, etc., so
much depends on the architecture and physical dynamics of the space, as
well as visitor flow and high traffic areas. I would suggest a wifi survey
by professional wifi designer for a really robust system. (And, don't
forget the charging stations in the project!)

Sam's paper:
Extending the Visitor Experience with Wi-Fi at the Art Institute of Chicago
http://mw2013.museumsandtheweb.com/paper/extending-the-visitor-experience-with-wi-fi-at-the-art-institute-of-chicago/

Hope that helps!
Thanks,
Liz