Visual Literacy: Learning to Look and Looking to Learn

VRAF Regional Workshop
University of California Berkeley

February 26th, 2016
Session 1:  10:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Berkeley Art Museum
Session 2:  2:00 p.m.-4:45 p.m., Visual Resources Center, 308A Doe Library

Registration deadline: February 12, 2016

The Visual Resources Association Foundation is pleased to announce
that registration for *Visual Literacy: Learning to Look and Looking to
Learn* is filling up fast! If you are planning on attending the workshop,
now is the time to secure your registration. If you’re unsure about the
significance of developing visual literacy skills, consider that we are
increasingly surrounded by images in our daily lives. Learning to look and
articulate our observations about the visual world helps us to better think
critically about what we see, and to impart that knowledge to others. This
workshop is open to image management professionals, image users, and the
broader information and educational community, and is designed to both
develop visual literacy skills and empower the participants to help develop
those skills in their students and patrons. It is an opportunity not to be
missed!

*Visual Literacy: Learning to Look and Looking to Learn* will be held at
University of California Berkeley on February 26th, 2016, one of two
workshops being offered in the first year of the VRAF Regional Workshop
Program.  The VRAF is grateful to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation for their
generous support of this new opportunity.

Part one of this workshop will focus on visual literacy skills and
pedagogical approaches by exploring objects at the new Berkeley Art Museum.
In part two of the workshop, participants will discuss and develop ways to
implement their own visual literacy program at their institutions, and
learn how staff, students and faculty can use digital archives, art
objects, and other primary sources in developing visual literacy skills.

Instructor

*Visual Literacy: Learning to Look and Looking to Learn* will be taught by
Jessica Sack, the Jan and Frederick Mayer Senior Associate Curator of
Public Education at the Yale University Art Gallery. During her fifteen
years in the field of museum education, Jessica has developed training
programs in visual literacy for information professionals, teachers,
faculty, and students.

Registration

The fee for the workshop is $75 for either the morning or afternoon
session, or $125 for the full day.  To register or learn more about *Visual
Literacy: Learning to Look and Looking to Learn*, visit
*http://vrafoundation.org.s119319.gridserver.com/index.php/projects/visual_literacy_regional_workshop/
<http://vrafoundation.org.s119319.gridserver.com/index.php/projects/visual_literacy_regional_workshop/>*

If you have questions about registration, feel free to contact Betha
Whitlow, VRAF Director, *bwhit...@wustl.edu <bwhit...@wustl.edu>* For
questions about the University of California Berkeley venue, please contact
Lynn Cunningham, Curator of Visual Resources, *lynncunning...@berkeley.edu
<lynncunning...@berkeley.edu>*.

--
Curator of Visual Resources