Below are my replies to the 4 questions in Emmanuelle and Stefano's message
about interoperability.  I'm looking forward to seeing how others reply!

1.      The best example of our integrating data with other institutions
might PastPerfect's web site at http://www.pastperfect-online.com/ , which
allows searching across the other institutions that are also using
PastPerfect Online.  Cross-institutional searching is limited to keyword
searching, without the advanced searching options that can be used on our
own site, http://statenisland.pastperfect-online.com/ .  There is great
flexibility in which fields are uploaded and how they are labeled and used.
I use this site often to see how other institutions have described
collections items like ours. At present, we have only uploaded a tiny
fragment of our cataloged items (which include artifacts, photographs,
archival collections, and library books/newspapers.) We have some 75,000
catalog records, but only about 1200 are posted online.
2.      (Not sure I understand this question.) We've looked at things like
Dublin Core and other metadata schema to help determine which fields we
should require for our catalog records. For assigning object names, we use
Chenhall's Nomenclature which is built in to PastPerfect, but not the
current version.  (We are in Nomenclature 2.0.) We also use the Library of
Congress subject terms that are built into PastPerfect. These are the same
terms for all four catalogs.  But we've noticed that the terms we use don't
quite match the terms that trained librarians are more apt to use (for
instance, there isn't an option to add dashes and refine by a place name.)
Also, we try (with mixed success) to establish our own standardized
descriptive language (such as terms for style periods like Empire).  We've
used the Getty Art and Architecture Thesaurus as a guide in establishing our
conventions, but don't necessarily follow it consistently. My understanding
is that going forward it will be more important to anticipate all the
different ways an untrained user might search for things, rather than
relying on established authority lists. A big challenge for us is how to
establish our own protocol for cataloging individual documents and small
archival collections--how to decide which PastPerfect  catalog to use and
which fields we should require the cataloger to complete.  For instance,
individual photographs that are part of a photos-only collection (like the
work of a particular photographer) are cataloged in the Photos catalog of
PastPerfect, but many photographs are contained within larger archival
collections (like a family or business collection), so they're included in
the Archives catalog.  But the fields are not all the same.  Likewise,  an
individual item like a baptismal certificate might be cataloged as an object
or as an archival item.  We struggle with consistency issues.
3.      We currently use PastPerfect exclusively as our collections
management system, and PastPerfect Online for sharing object records and
images online. In the 1990s, we used Minaret software for creating archival
collection records (but we've since migrated those records into
PastPerfect).  For some of our archival collections, we produced
collection-level MARC records for submission to national databases, but it's
been over a decade since we've produced one.  Decades ago, our archival
collections were included in a "Guide to Historical Resources in Richmond
County (Staten Island), New York Repositories" and those records have since
been posted online by another party, but they are not up-to-date.  Here's an
example of one of our collections that can be found online, but I don't
think the record identifies us as the repository; rather, it appears as if
it's part of the New York State Library, which is not correct:
http://184.168.105.185/archivegrid/collection/data/155570149 .  More
recently, in 2011 we submitted a collection-level record representing our
Alice Austen Photograph Collection to the IMLS Digital Collections and
Content Registry. I haven't been able to confirm that the registry is still
active.  Regarding software, we feel that given our staffing limitations it
is important for us to be able to use one product for collections
management, digital image management, and creating online collections
records.
4.      My title is Curator. I am interested in interoperability but it
isn't exactly part of my job description. Our total curatorial staff
consists of two full time and two part time, and we are responsible for all
aspects of artifact, photograph, archival, and library collections, as well
as over 30 historic structures located on over a hundred acres; we do not
have any IT staff, just one IT consultant who we see perhaps a few times
each year.  Staff positions, or even short-term consultants, who could
advise us on digital asset management issues, help us refine our cataloging
procedures, and provide general IT assistance are among our many, many
needs.

I hope this makes sense.  Thanks for your interest!

Sarah Clark
Curator
Historic Richmond Town, Staten Island Historical Society
441 Clarke Avenue, Staten Island, NY  10306
718-351-1611, ext. 272
www.historicrichmondtown.org

Explore our collections at:
http://historicrichmondtown.org/treasures/online-collections-database