Hey Ed and Keir,
Have you look into Google’s DayDream?

I am a big fan of Gear VR (but less a fan of Samsung), and I think that this
sort of Mobile VR should come from higher up the food chain (Google and Apple)

depending on the experience you are creating… I love Cardboard as well. and
there are literally hundreds of robust “cardboard” viewers..

aside from the actual paper version, I have direct experience with Wearailty
(very interesting for using fresnel lenses for wider fov )

and the

Viewmaster (which I purchased for my 5 year old, very sturdy! and no strap
https://www.amazon.com/View-Master-Virtual-Reality-Starter-Pack/dp/B011EG5HJ2/ref=sr_1_43?ie=UTF8&qid=1476971629&sr=8-43&keywords=google+cardboard