Hi Perian

Rather depends on what you mean by "internal use policies". Could you clarify?

If a work is in the public domain, it is no longer protected and anyone can
reproduce it in any way they want, including cropping it, etc. Are you implying
institutional policies that would override that?  Are you thinking of
reproductions in catalogs, or in marketing materials, or on social media, or on
signage...?

I can think of situations in which a curator might object to misleading
manipulation of a public domain work from the collection, and in fact the role
of our institutions is to preserve the integrity of the works in our
collections, but in general cropping for graphic reasons would be considered
just that: a design decision, and those tend to be taken during the editorial /
design process by those involved: curators, editors, graphic designers.

If a work is still protected by copyright and (in some countries) by moral
rights, then cropping or manipulation would require the approval of the artist
or copyright holder.  That's not an "internal use" policy; let's call it best
practice.
There are artists who are fine with things like cropping; others are not.

Amalyah Keshet
Head of Image Resources & Copyright Management
The Israel Museum, Jerusalem