From: mcn-l-boun...@mcn.edu [mailto:mcn-l-boun...@mcn.edu] On Behalf Of Rob
Morgan
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2017 2:18 PM
To: mcn-l@mcn.edu
Subject: [MCN-L] Collections Database Remote Access Policies

Hello MCN Listserv,

Does your institution allow remote access to your collections database?
For example, can a Curator check your collections database from home via a
Remote Desktop Connection/Terminal Server, or something similar?

If so, does your institution have a policy in place regarding remote access to
your collections database?  If so, can you share it with me?

FYI, we allow remote access to our collections database.  However, there is
concern about losing control over who can see sensitive information (e.g.,
values, locations, etc.) when the database is accessed outside the museum
(e.g., a non-employee could see sensitive data in an employee’s home).  Of
course, the argument is that staff should be trusted regardless of where
they’re working.

Thanks,

Rob Morgan

Collections Database Administrator