In Germany and other countries that recognize a life+70 (or less) term, Klee's
works would be in the public domain.  I don't know if the laws in countries
that have a longer term (Mexico, etc.) are retroactive or if they follow the
rule of the shorter term (which would make German status apply).

But Jessica is very astute to recognize that the publication status of the work
might affect its copyright status in the U.S.  Here are some possibilities:

1) If the work was first published with the authority of the copyright owner in
1931, and the work was included in the book under the authority of the
copyright owner (so that is a true publication for copyright purposes), then it
is possible the copyright was restored by 17 USC 104A.  You then look to see if
it was protected by copyright on 1 Jan. 1996.  Since Klee died in 1940, and
Germany had a life +70 term in 1996, his works would have been protected.  That
means copyright in the work was restored and would last for the normal US term
in 1931, i.e., 95 years, or until 1 Jan. 2027 (95 years after publication date).
2) But publication could happen in ways other than through reproduction, as
Jessica astutely notes.  I don't think that you would need to consider what
constitutes publication in Germany, but only in the U.S.  If it was, as Jessica
suggests, "offered for sale by a gallery, dealer, or public auction," or if it
was displayed without restrictions on the ability of the public to make
reproductions of the work, that could constitute publication under U.S. law.
If it occurred in 1924, then the work would enter the public domain on 1 Jan.
2020.

Wikimedia Commons has a good discussion of this at
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Paul_Klee.  It concludes that:

It can probably be assumed that works by Klee published prior to 1923 are free
both in the U.S., in Switzerland and in Germany as in the rest of the EU, as
well as works first published in Switzerland after 1933 (because, as Swiss
works, they lost their copyright in the country of origin in 1991 and were thus
not protected on the URAA date of January 1, 1996). Klee works published from
1923 to 1933 may not be in the public domain in the U.S.

Of course, all this is likely academic.  The real question is whether the Klee
estate or ARS on its behalf would be likely to bring an action based upon
presumed publication and subsequent restoration of copyright.  It would be a
stretch: as Deborah Gerhardt documented in her paper, "Copyright Publication:
An Empirical Study," the record of what courts considered to be publication is
very mixed.  I suspect that ARS might not want to risk bringing a suit that
would test whether publication had occurred and copyright had been restored.
That may be why reproductions of Klee's works are common on the Internet.
Furthermore, it may be that ARS is asserting control over Klee's non-copyright
rights, such as trademark or rights of publicity.  I know of at least one
instance where VAGA suggested that it had copyright in an artist's work when it
actually owned the rights of publicity for the model in the work. But whether
you want to proceed is a legal and risk assessment decision that you would have
to make after consulting with the appropriate authorities.

Peter B. Hirtle
Alumni Fellow, Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society, Harvard University
peter.hir...@cornell.edu
Copyright and Cultural Institutions: Guidelines for Digitization for U.S.
Libraries, Archives, and Museums:
http://hdl.handle.net/1813/14142