This is a tough one for a couple reasons:

1) Most browsers right now aren't very willing to play that old Flash app, for security reasons. I can't see it. I think this is probably happening to a lot of us.

2) You can spend more or less any amount of money on an online exhibition component.

The most important component of the cost is the time spent by the people you're paying, so the cost depends on a lot of things that don't necessarily show on the page. Like, are the artwork metadata and images in a database with a pre-existing, well-defined, solid way to get them to a web page? Then that's approximately $0 for that part, but if it's not already built or won't work right for what you want to do, that part may be expensive and you shouldn't skimp on it.

It's lots easier to start with a) a proposed maximum dollar figure, b) what you hope to achieve, and c) any pre-existing capabilities, requirements and limitations. Then you can talk to people about ways to get to (b) for (a) given (c).

One way or another, it's totally fine to reach out directly to potential vendors and let them help you figure out the potential cost. There are vendors on this list but they are sensitive about jumping into questions like this that aren't phrased specifically as "we are seeking proposals from vendors." But if you asked "are there any vendors here who'd be willing to talk to me about how to phrase my last question better," you'll get lots of good contacts and plenty of solid advice.

Is there some other way you can share the example site? I'm guessing a Monet retrospective in Paris would be a pretty big deal, so they probably spent a lot on it, but I bet they could have done it or something like it for a lot less or a lot more (and using future-proof tech, i.e. standards-based code).

Best,
Matt