A good soundcard will not let you perform any amplification (digitally) of
your incoming digital signal, but rather just "let it all in" and then leave
it to you and your Soundforge/Cooledit Pro software to conduct any dynamics
processing.

Now as far as why you're getting that, I figure that software-wise, maybe
the Hoontech/SB ensemble could use a little work 3#-)

Beyond that, I have no other suggestions. It would be something I'd have to
see personally to see what I can work out for it. You are right, bits are
bits. But it all depends on how the receiving unit manipulates those bits
before it gets to the final result. My JA30ES as well as my Turtlebeach Fiji
soundcard pass these reference tests with absolute accuracy, which is why
they're perfect for my professional applications. But it does come down to
the principle of spending good money to get your money's worth. I can't see
the JB920 presenting you with the level of accuracy that you refer to, but
it certainly would surprise me if it really were so. But from what you're
telling me in your example, your CD player seems to be connected to the
SB/Hoontech and then the MD's input plugged into the SB/Hoontech's output.
So I bet if you were to go direct from the CD player to the MD deck without
the SB/Hoontech in between, you'd get the same accuracy as I am. I think
it's just the software design of the SB/Hoontech ensemble, personally.

As for your SB/Hoontech, I'm not surprised, sorry to say 3#-)

Adios,
LarZ

---------------  TAMA - The Strongest Name in Drums  ---------------