From: Ralph Smeets <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2000 10:13 AM
Subject: Re: MD: MD Wins (was Re: Will MD Survive?).

> There is only one thing that wories me... Mobile phones and the
> upcomming new standard
> will allow us to listen to MP3 music using our phone. It will allow us
> to connect to a
> site and listen to it! It's not a joke, you could have seen prototypes
> on the Geneva
> telecominication conference. It's due for somewhere between 2002 and
> 2005!

What worries me more is that this will essentially increase the number of
cases of cancer. We already know it to be a fact that prolonged use of
mobile phones, especially over prolonged periods of several minutes or more
at a time, is a large health risk. If they make mobile phones into portable
music technology then this will increase that health risk exponentially, as
1 or 2 minute calls turn into 2 hour music listening sessions. The quality
from a mobile phone would also not be that great, simply because to
incorporate all the technology needed would make the phones very expensive,
and although the new technology (which we're not supposed to know anything
about yet BTW, ha ha ha) gives rediculous amounts of bandwidth to the
phones, I have yet to actually see a server on the internet that will output
an MP3 stream at a decent bitrate sustained long enough to play without
stuttering.

> Cheers,
> Ralph -> who had to be very carefull since he knows more than he is
>          allowed to write!

I wouldn't worry Ralph, it's probably already been talked about in several
computer magazines....

Magic
--
"Creativity is more a birthright than an acquisition, and the power of sound
is wisdom and understanding applied to the power of vibration."

Location : Portsmouth, England, UK
Homepage : http://www.mattnet.freeserve.co.uk
EMail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]