The popularity of MP3 proves that high sound quality is not paramount to the
success of an audio medium.

Given this, isn't all of this copy protection crap futile?  If I buy a
recording (on any medium), I can play it.  If my ears can hear it, I can
record it.

Equipment makers knock themselves out trying for the best sound reproduction
possible, and the best recording quality possible.

There really is no way to prevent copying, is there? It might not match the
original data 100%, but that doesn't seem to mean a lot.  Before I got a CD
player with digital output, I made all my MDs using the analog RCA
connection.  The sound quality must be good enough for me, because I sure
haven't bothered to take the time to re-dub my CDs using digital transfer.

I think the record companies are wasting a lot of time just chasing their
own tails (I was hoping to come up with a better metaphor, oh well).