Dear Paul, Dear MiniDisc Afficionados,

You recently asked about the frequency of using an MD lens Cleaner. I am
sorry to tell you that this product SHOULD NEVER BE USED !
Why ?
In fact, how does a lens cleaner works (also valid for CD). There is a
prerecorded track, which informs the computer inside the device to place the
optical block at a certain level of the disc. At this point, the optical
block will read another prerecorded track (usually classical music) and
while this reading operation, the brush will pass over the lens (ie and the
laser beam), which will brush the lens (good) but cut the laser beam. This
means that the optical block loses the track and needs a little while to
recover the right point. This operation will ask strong efforts on the
mechanical tray and if you use the lens cleaner often, you will reduce the
lifetime of your mechanical parts.
Moreover, when you record, the most important part is the magnetic head (on
the other side of the optical block). This head can have dust or other bad
parts, and this MAY occur writing problems. But if this happens, that means
that you have let your MD Recorder open too long ! And to clean up the
magnetic head, a lens cleaner is not helpful at all, because the brush is on
the other side !! You can use a MD head cleaner, which has on the other side
of the disc a sort of soft layer which normally cleans the magnetic head. In
fact, we tried to measure the cleaning process of the magnetic head, but it
was unmesureable.
Anyway, the best method to clean up the magnetic head and the optical lens
is a spray dust (the one you use for your pc keyboard).
If you need further information, feel free to contact me.
Best regards.

Arnaud DEVILDER
Area Sales Manager
MPO MEDIA - 77 rue de Paris