Hello!  Here's some info for Canadian MD-list members:

London Drugs stores (located in western Canada) have the Sony
MJ-L1 flat-style MD component system on clearance sale for
CAN$499.98 (approximately US$330).  I bought one, and I thought
I'd write a review of it in case anyone else is interested in
buying this attractive MD stereo system. CAN$499 is an amazing
price; the last time I saw an MJ-L1 in a store it was about
$1300.

A large grayscale picture is at:
http://www.vanderidder.nl/SONY-WEBSITE/images2/hifisys/R972452.JPG

The MJ-L1 system comes in a few pieces:  the HCD-MJ1 flat
component system, the SS-MJ1 speaker system and the RM-SMJ1
remote control.  The unit is made in Japan, and it is of very
high quality.  In my opinion, it is very stylish, modern and
expensive looking (something you would want to place out where it
can be seen, rather than hidden in a cupboard like most stereo
equipment).

HCD-MJ1 flat component system main unit:
The main unit contains a CD player, a minidisc recorder, a tuner,
an amplifier, and a silent cooling fan.  It is 17 inches wide, 11
inches deep, and 3.75 inches tall.  The display and almost all
controls are located on the top surface, which is made of a thick
piece of aluminum.  There is a jog dial which is used for
character entry, FM tuning, track selection, and
bass/treble/clock adjustments.  The unit has one set of analog
inputs and one set of analog outputs.  There are also connectors
for FM and AM antennas.  The front of the unit has the CD and MD
eject buttons, and a motorized door which opens to reveal the CD
and MD slots.  A built-in clock provides daily wake-up timer,
record timer, and sleep timer functions.  Amplifier:  30W RMS per
channel.  There are bass and treble (+/- 10dB) controls as well
as a balance control.  There is no loudness or bass-boost
feature.  The display has a 13-character text display, a 20-track
music calendar, a volume bar graph, a timer mode indicator, and
animated CD and MD icons.  When the volume is adjusted, the text
display shows the volume level in dB.  The unit's buttons have
LEDs next to them that illuminate or flash (presumably to give
you a hint as to which button to press).  There is a 2 year
warranty.

Tuner:
There are 20 FM presets and 10 AM presets.  A tuning mode button
selects the function of the jog dial (it can be used for manual
tuning, automatic (seek) tuning, or preset selection).  Radio
stations can be given 10-character titles.  The display has
"TUNED", "STEREO" and "MONO" indicators to indicate if a station
is properly tuned in and whether or not it is in stereo.

CD player:
The MJ-L1 has a single-disc CD player.  Discs can be given 10
character titles, but the disc title cannot be displayed while
the CD is playing.  There is an animated spinning CD icon in the
display.  The display shows elapsed time, remaining disc time, or
remaining track time as well as a 20-track music calendar.  The
manual claims 2Hz to 20kHz frequency response.

MD player:
The MD player performs all of the usual functions (divide,
combine, erase, title, and move).  There is a rehearsal mode for
track division (just like on the Sony MDS-JE510) where the jog
dial is used to move the division point forward or backwards in
steps of 60ms.  Program-play and shuffle-play modes can be
selected.  There is a 20-track music calendar.  There are only
two recording level settings for analog recordings from the
unit's RCA-jack inputs: normal and "attenuate".  A "REC LEVEL
OVER" indicator lights if the input signal is too loud.  The
recording level of the radio is set automatically.  CDs can be
digitally copied to MD, and the CD title is copied automatically
to the MD.  Track marks are copied properly for CD-MD recording.
The "Level Sync" feature can be used to automatically set track
marks for analog recordings.  An animated spinning minidisc shows
in the display (it even spins in the correct direction and at the
correct speed depending on if you press play, >>, <<, or pause).
Track title, elapsed time and remaining time can be displayed.

SS-MJ1 Speakers:
The speakers are silver with blue grilles.  They are passive
2-way bass-reflex type speakers, with a 5.125" woofer, a 1"
tweeter, and a front-facing flared port.  They are relatively
thin (6" thick and 15" tall), and they are surprisingly heavy for
their size.

RM-SMJ1 Remote Control:
The remote control is very slim (as thin as a minidisc!) and
tiny, with a silver face to match the MJ-L1 system.  It can
control most of the functions of the unit.  The remote control
commands for CD and MD transport functions, power, volume, and
tuner preset +/- are the same as those used for standard full
size Sony audio components; numeric buttons are not.  Remote
control range is adequate but not exceptional.  The sleep timer
can only be enabled from the remote control.

So far, I am very pleased with this product.  Sound quality is
quite good (excellent when connected to a subwoofer), and it
operates flawlessly.

On a similar topic, I purchased (and returned) a Sharp MD-X5
minisystem a few weeks ago (available at Future Shop on sale for
CAN$250 (US$165)), and it was more difficult to use than the
MJ-L1.  I returned it because it gave me a UTOC error if I tried
to edit any MD that was recorded by my Sony MDS-JE510.  The Sharp
MD-X5 would then refuse to eject the MD until it was unplugged
and plugged in again, and it would display the titles of that
first disc for any subsequent disc that was played.  All of the
Sharp MD players at the store did the same thing - I was
surprised at the questionable quality of their products.  I
bought the MD-X5 primarily because of its PC keyboard connector
for MD titling, however the UTOC error problem meant that I
couldn't actually title any of my MDs.  The MD-X5 also had a poor
amplifier section; there was a noticeable hiss from the speakers,
and the wake-up timer and sleep timer functions were badly
designed.  I was unimpressed by the Sharp MD-X5, but I like the
Sony MJ-L1 a lot.  I've heard that older Sony MD players can have
optical block failures though, so I guess there's always
something to worry about.  Oh well...

Matt :)