Hi everyone,

I have realised that if I intend on travelling around with my portable CD or
MiniDisc player, I would make sure that the mains transformer, 12 volt
cigar-lighter adapter, and cassette adapter always accompany me with the
player. I would also make sure that at least a stereo miniplug-2xRCA cable
and a 2xRCA socket-stereo minplug adapter unit travel with me.

This setup would cater for times when I want to play a CD or MiniDisc in a
host's sound system when they don't have the facilities to play the formats.
The cassette adapter would come in handy when used with boom boxes and music
centres which don't have line-level inputs in the form of RCA sockets; as
well as car stereos. It also gets around problems with those boom boxes that
were made by some manufacturers for the European or Australian market where
the only line-level input socket was a DIN connector which was opened during
record or play. As for use with double-cassette units, I would put the
cassette adapter inside the play-only transport so that the recording
transport can be used to permit recording of the CD or MiniDisc being played
on the portable player.

Of course, the RCA plug to stereo miniplug lead comes in handy when working
with a sound system or mixing desk that has a line-level input in the form
of RCA sockets.

The miniplug-RCA socket adapter, when used with the miniplug - RCA plug lead
would make up a miniplug-miniplug lead for use with car stereos, boom boxes
(Sony CFS-230 or Sony CFS-235S) and other sound systems where there is a "CD
In" or "Walkman In" socket.

As for power, the transformer would be used when the unit is used near a
power outlet. The 12 volt adapter would be used when the unit is used in
cars or boats equipped with a cigar-lighter socket, whether to feed the host
vehicle's sound system or for personal listening through headphones (an
activity which I do when I am travelling with a driver who has different
music tastes).

As for anyone who is wiring up a boat, especially a Lake Eildon houseboat or
a cabin cruiser, and are installing a sound system in it, here are a few
hints. Make sure a 12 volt accessory socket is located near where the head
unit is to be installed -- whether in a cabinet or bulkhead in the saloon or
galley; or at the bridge. If money allows, 12 volt accessory sockets could
be installed in the cabins and staterooms.

With regards,

Simon Mackay