> for the first time, my Sharp 722 made an error: I was
> copying an MD via
> Toslink, and near the end of the 68 minute album, the final
> track began
> to break up into intermittent skips of silence for several
> seconds, then
> more of the song, then more silence, back and forth.

This is what happened to my 702 just before I got the
"fatal" UTOC error.  I was recording on one blank MD,
then a second blank immediately after.  The first MD had
jumpy recording just as you describe near the end of
the disk.  The second disk was empty (actually the TOC
was empty), the result of the UTOC error.  It didn't
successfully record again until I got it fixed.  Now
it's fine - no problems at all (knock on wood).

Try another couple of recording sessions.  If the problem
goes away (perhaps because you had dead batteries as
suggested in an earlier post), then don't worry.  If the
problem repeats, or the UTOC error occurs, then you'll
need service - I hope it's under warranty.

All the best,

Steve