Keith R. wrote:
> hey, i really haven't been keeping track of this thread, which is why i'm
> emailing you rather than the list.

no probs, thanks for replying

> do you have msoffice installed?  is there a program called FASTFIND or
> sometihng like that in your startup folder?  check.  that's an EVIL EVIL
> program.  makes your hd thrash around like mad!

No I don't have God's Office installed, but do have Satan's Smartsuite
installed
[Lotus Smartsuite 97, totally unlimited version from a magazine coverdisk in
Britain-- and I mean both complete, and without any restrictions]-- about
UKP3
for a full-blown office utility suite, wheeeewwwwww!  And I really mean
that, no
time restrictions, no disabled save or print, no missing components-- it's
the full
thing.  I don't run SmartCentre for a reason like you described above.

> i have a very similiar system
> amd k62-300 , 64mb ram, win98, 13gig hard drive, 12mb banshee creative
labs
> video card, sound blaster live.
> my system runs just fine.  (and i have a p2-400 128mb ram here at work, so
> would know :)

Processor similar, (my k6-2/333 vs k6-2/300), my L2 cache is much less I
think
at only 256KB.  32MB RAM here vs your 64MB is doubtless causing HD
thrashing.
Win98 likewise.  My 4Gig HD hardly matches your 13Gig monster but I defrag
regularly and dump old stuff onto CD-R for archiving so it copes.  Your
video card
makes me drool as does your sound card (provided the latter is SB16
compatible)
so I'll save my keyboard from a session in the spin dryer and say no more
:-)

Thing is that while Windoze98 sometimes thrashes the HD, the app I use
which is most intensive is a DOS based arcade emulator and after raw CPU
power, I think videocard speed is the main factor.  For optimum performance,
it must transfer the whole frame to the card at 60fps usually.

And as to the guy who suggested I dump Win98 for Linux, are you on drugs or
do you think I have sh*t for brains?  At least with God [MS] I know there
will always
be plenty of new fixes to download next week.  Linux might have no new fixes
which tells me they either don't care or it's not totally bug-ridden like
God's Win98.
But I *believe* in God and love Win98, just as I previously loved Win95 and
would
Banish All YOU DISBELIEVERS TO THE FLAMING PITS OF HELL THAT ARE LINUX
OR BEOS :-)

Oh dear, I may have got a little over-excited there.

Cheers,
PrinceGaz -> Still very pleased with my Win98 value for money-- about UKP70
from the only software chain I've seen which does opened returns, UKP1 for a
CD-R, a quick backup of Win98 in case the disc fails, and a return of the
original
with a "performance problem situation" (ummmm).  And before you guys start
slate me as the "lowest of the low", I helped ease the burden on my
conscience by
buying and keeping a game when I returned Win98, and just try asking
yourself
how many friends' CDs you've bootlegged and bought nothing to compensate.