I have one of the legendary "problem MDS-302"s.

It works fine with prerecorded discs but not at all with MO-discs.
I tried it upside down but then it doesnt work at all. I'm used
to tuning pots on CD players to get the last life of them, I
even fixed my playstation by glueing plastic to the parts where
the sled was worn and finetuning the pots to get it in working
condition again.

But how do you tune this sucker from the service menu? I can
get to the menu, but how do I adjust laser power & fbias?
The prerecorded discs work fine, so I dont want to mess with
those settings, what to tune to get the MO-discs working again?
What about the other adjustments there are? any use?

It would be cool if somebody could help or have scanned the
service manual!

Is there a cheap source (preferably europe, but any will do!)
for the Sony parts stuff, optical blocks, service manuals, etc..

I'd like to get this fixed since I dont like the styling on the
new lower end sony line, the ES is too expensive just now, since
I just broke my vision touch remote for my av amp also and it
would be cheaper to buy a new nokia cell phone than a new
sony _REMOTE_CONTROLLER_ *sigh*. And after dusting, the MDS-302
looks like brand new, I'd hate to throw it away, I've waited
for a while to find an another one with a working optical block
to fix this one but they all seem to have this same problem..

Has the sony made a better replacement optical block for the
MDS-302 or will it just die again in a year or two?

Cheers,

Joakim
[EMAIL PROTECTED]